An authentic Swedish Midsummer centres around the midsummer pole. Creating one requires certain tools and equipment and could take some time, but promises to be great fun for all involved and undoubtedly worth it in the end!
What you need:
- 4½m pole or branch
- 3m pole or branch
- 1 x hammer
- 10–15 x 100mm nails
- Lots of flowers and greenery
- 50m of transparent string or thin steel wire
How you do it:
- Using the hammer and nails, attach the shorter pole approximately 1/3 of the way down from the top of the longer pole. So that it resembles a cross.
- Using the string, decorate the cross with greenery. Add ribbon if you like.
- Next make two garlands. These should contain fresh flowers.
- Hang the garlands on each “arm” of the Midsummer pole.
- Dig a narrow hole, at least 50cm deep. Place the bottom end of the pole in the hole.
- Now all together help to raise the pole. Fix it in the hole with wooden wedges or stones.